Day 10 - "Finding the Magic" - SOLSC '21

#SOL21

Today I'm looking at a blank page and honestly don't know what to say. I think writer's block is finally here for this new teacher as you see, today was full of so many moments that I could talk about, where do I even begin? 

How about, today is my sister's 44th Birthday. Yep, the one who didn't even congratulate me on getting into my Master's Program. The sister who would pick on me as a kid, and to this day who I feel truly doesn't even like me. She was married at 23, had her first child by 25, and here I am at almost 40, never married, no kids, and no future prospects for either in the near future. How different we truly are. Well, at least it's her birthday and who doesn't love birthdays? You get to have, cake! 

The day was filled with so many moments, remote 1-1 sessions with my kiddos, a team PLC where I got to play teacher and show off my tech skills to the team. (I still don't really know if they actually learned anything from me.) My post-observation review followed, which was mostly positive and I took notes in case I ever feel down about my teaching I will read them again. I think my biggest critic, is me. The superintendent stopped in for a 20-minute chat at the end of the day. I remember sitting there and just telling myself, breathe, smile, and be kind. I didn't want another pool of sweat on my classroom floor yet another day. 

Through all of the moments today, it is still my students who really are the light of my life. Watching them yawn through our lesson on spelling with -CK, watching them show up with two minutes left, watching them make faces in the camera during math, and more. One student told me today, "Ms. B I know these words I am going to read will all be short vowel sounds because they only have one guardian! That's rule one!" I lit up after that comment because (insert huge drumroll here), I taught her that! These are the moments of magic.

No matter how bad I'm feeling students ALWAYS manage to make me smile. There is a moment each day, a "slice" if you will that truly zaps the soul of this new teacher and I feel alive. That moment came from my last 1-1 session of the day. I ask my kiddo how he is doing and he says, "I'm very happy because you are going to play me a GoNoodle!" 💕 The lesson hadn't even started and he just knew that a music dance break was in his future. I'm not sure if that is why he worked so hard in our math lesson, but he did get that GoNoodle, and he gave his teacher her slice of the day. I guess students are all you truly need to unclog that writer's block drain. That, + a little heart + a little music = magic. 

Teaching is magic, and I feel so blessed that I get to be a part of it.

Until next time, I'll leave you with a quote from my favorite author of magic. I hope your day was a slice. Thanks for stopping in. Oh, and happy Birthday sis. I still love you, no matter what. 


*GB


Comments

Adrienne G. said…
That quote has me thinking.

I've always said teaching is performance art and I put on my Ms Gillespie persona before I step on stage. But that J K Rowling quote has me thinking.

I like how you just jumped right into writing when you didn't know where to begin. And the ideas that found you and leaked in! Teaching does have a magic to it. Glad you recognized the slice of the day!

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC