Day 13 - "Seasons of Love" - SOLSC

 

#SOL21

On this Saturday I celebrate my full year as a new educator. The sun rose this morning and I'm thankful that I am fully healed from the sickness of vaccine #2. I am healed from the pain of my past. You see, this is a new season. In this post, I celebrate the seasons of love. I was inspired to write this post because my favorite musical was on this morning, RENT. It is filled with so much music that touches on the fragile connection that is humanity. 

Within this last year, I witnessed a season of love, hate, hope, inspiration, darkness, and light, in our humanity. I saw families come together to support their teachers, I saw our world come apart as we battled over masks, distancing, and saving our economy. Yet today, with a simple revisit to the music of this musical I am inspired to write about this last season and the love it brought.

It brought a closer connection with the parents of my students who became part of every lesson. I became closer to Poncherillo who had every day to spend by my side as I worked from my living room classroom. I had so much alone time to process who I really am and where I want the trajectory of the rest of my life to go. I met someone who shares my love of learning, cares for me as if I don't have flaws, and has shown me, that maybe I do matter. 

I met (and have fallen in love) with baby Yoda ;-), rekindled my childhood affinity for puzzles, and finally, I've come to accept myself and what a truly great educator I just might be. Wow, what a season. It proved to me that I certainly crave human connection and I don't want to live any of the rest of my days with any regret. 

Until next time, I leave you with a quote from the musical that inspired today's post, and the last year in this "Season of Love."

*GB

Comments

Adrienne G. said…
Congratulations on your first year anniversary!

I fell in love with Baby Yoda too. It started as a desire to connect with my kids, but it led to some really great conversations with my students.
Lainie Levin said…
You've made it a full year - which, in a year like the one we have, should probably have counted for FIVE. Here's what I'll also say - the difference I felt after one year and two was amazing. I still had all the joy and idealism of being a new teacher (who am I kidding? still feeling it after decades), but I also had the experience of having gone around the block. Here's to another great year!

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC