Day 15 - "Remote Days are Dwindling" - SOLSC

 

#SOL21

It's Monday. I had a hard time dragging myself out of bed. Wishing I had my hour of sleep back, but I remembered that my students are remote today. I don't know why, but I have honestly become quite accustomed to remote learning days, which are now dwindling. Only 3 left and then spring break will be here, and our students will all be back before us very soon. I know more about how to work remotely as an educator than I do with students in person. These are the times.

Today I had to fight against the emotional barrier that comes when my students are not in person. I don't get to interact much with them between all of their sessions, so again I sat alone all day. Quietly in my classroom, I reflected on the week ahead between lessons, and I again had to listen to how my assistant wants to schedule the week her way. Well you know Ms. B, it's better this way. I truly wonder when will it be my way? When will I get the say about how to run my class and it will actually be better that way? When will I actually matter? Or rather, when will anyone actually care to listen to what I have to say? That has been my life struggle. When, if ever, will I matter.
These are the times. 

*GB

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am feeling a little bit the same way. Although I have been teaching forever, and i have embrace remote learning in a way I could never have imagined a year ago, I get frustrated when people who do not work with children come up with brilliant ideas as to how I am going to simultaneously teach the small in person group and the majority of students at home.
Lainie Levin said…
I've read your post and Adrienne's comment, and I deeply identify with you both. I'm a veteran teacher who still feels like it's tough being told what to do by folks who might not quite understand the way I see things. Add to that the idea that teaching is a job that's affected by so many policies and mandates. It's tough to maintain a sense of empowerment when the system itself is set up to discourage it. But I have perfect faith that you have a strong philosophy, and that you will find a way to do what you feel is right.

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC