Day 17 - "The Wind Beneath My Wings" - SOLSC



#SOL21 

"Did you ever know that you're my hero
And everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle
For you are the wind beneath my wings
It might have appeared to go unnoticed
But I've got it all here in my heart
I want you to know I know the truth, of course, I know it
I would be nothing without you"
("Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler, 1988)
Today marks 10 years that you have been gone, and I still do it all for you.
I miss you, so much it hurts. I remember this day and how I couldn't catch my breath. I had a panic attack the day my Godmother was taken to heaven. Ten years ago today the light of our family was taken away. Teta, I still miss you. My aunt, my Godmother, my friend.

You see, my Teta Carol was a middle child just like me. She understood what it felt like to be ignored and unseen in the family. She struggled in many of the same ways I do, and I trusted her advice more than anyone. Teta, I still miss you. 

The day I was accepted to grad school I heard your song twice. Once on the radio and once on my iPod, the "Wind Beneath My Wings" brought tears to my eyes. These are not simply coincidences. I know you still watch over me, and I know that day you were telling me just how proud you are of me.

You see, my aunt always wanted to be a nurse and she never got the chance. She once told me she wasn't sent to college because her parents spent that money to send my mom to nursing school.

So I pledged to dedicate my teaching career to my Aunt, who never got the chance to live her dreams. 

Well, today Teta I still do it all for you. In every lesson, with all my blood, sweat, tears, and now with my new steps into grad school, I will forever do it all for you.

Today I will fall asleep with your music box close to my heart. I will play it and listen to that lovely melody because Teta you have and forever will be "The Wind Beneath My Wings."

Teta, I still miss you. 


Today I leave you with a picture of my wonderful Godmother as I honor her memory on the day we lost her. Ten years later I still miss her. I dedicate all I do in my new career in honor of her memory, my aunt, my Godmother, and my friend.
Teta, I still miss you. 

Teta Carol 2/14/43-3/17/11
I Love You. I miss you. My Godmother, my Aunt, and my Friend.

*GB

 

Comments

Melanie Meehan said…
Ah, that song. There are a lot of memories woven within and through it. It sounds like you had an amazing mentor who stays with you no matter what. I'm sorry for your loss, and I understand how time doesn't ease it, but it sounds like you've done and continue to do amazing things, inspired by Teta.
Suzanne said…
This is a beautiful tribute. It was beautiful to read. You brought your dear Aunt and Godmother to life by sharing her dreams, living out in you.
Lainie Levin said…
Grief. It's tough stuff. And days like this are tricky, because we never know how they'll hit us. We never quite know what to expect out of the day. Your Teta Carol sounds like she was a beautiful, amazing woman. Thank you for sharing these memories, and allowing us to carry this grief along with you for a few short moments.
Your tribute to her is beautiful. She sounds like an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing her with us. And the song is beautiful and poignant.
Adrienne G. said…
What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul. I am sure she sings along every time you hear that song.

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC