Day 18 - "Throwback Thursday" - SOLSC

 

#SOL21

I was 19. I had just graduated from trade school and I was with my classmates at our graduation party. My voice comes on the radio, my first on-air shift. My classmates were all quiet as they listened, "hey that's GB on the radio!"

Yes, it was me, on the radio. It was my first on-air shift that had been pre-recorded that Saturday night. I turned bright red as I heard my voice on the air for the first time. "I sound like a man," I thought to myself. "That was so awesome GB!" 

Yes, it was awesome. I was only one of three students who went on to enjoy a semi-long career in the radio industry, out of the twenty-five students that graduated in my class. 

I enjoyed five years on the air as a radio personality. I worked at Top 40 stations, Country Stations, and even an Adult Contemporary Station. I then worked for ten years as a traffic and billing manager at two AM radio stations. I drove by the stations the other day. I like to reminisce about the career that made me who I am today. 

While I was enjoying being on the air and trying to be Ms. Cool as I played my airchecks for anyone who would listen, a little voice was always in the back of my head. "Teaching is the way, you want more, college, an education, a career that can sustain you for life." I ignored this little voice, as instead, I chased bad relationship after bad relationship. "Maybe if I was married and had some children, that would fill the void in my life."

Nope, that never satisfied me either, and all I ended up with was heartbreak and out of a job.

You see, the twist I never saw coming was that literally as I had signed up to start my Elementary and Special Education adult program and dual majored degree, I was let go from my radio job of 10 years! "We have to save money on the budget." Ummmm (insert snide comment here), then why are two people (with insurance) currently holding that one role that I used to have?

Hmmm, either way here we are today! I get to share my love of music with my own class now, even if I will not be on the radio again for a while (I still hope to get back part-time one day). For now each day I get to have my own little dance party with my kiddos. I will forever get to be their DJ. 

Now that is pretty awesome Ms. B.

Until next time, I leave you with a quote that has always spoken to my music-made soul. 

*GB

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love that you can share your love of music with your students. I also think that being on the radio made you great at thinking on your feet - a skill every great teacher needs.
Lainie Levin said…
First of all, THANK YOU for sharing more stories about your radio days. It's heartening to know that you followed your moral compass in life, rather than the voices that tell you what you "should" be doing. As for the station letting you go, I suppose the only thing I have to say is, it was their loss and our (but mostly your students') gain.
Anonymous said…
It is so cool that you had a career in radio and gave that up for teaching! Good for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC