Day 8 - "My Mellow Monday" - SOLSC

#SOL21


Monday blew in like a gale-force wind but proceeded like a gentle breeze. I started my first lesson at 8am, computer prepped with all of my 50 tabs open, and I spent my morning in the land of plural nouns. In reading, we started a new story in our study of character traits and their motivations, my students rocked "Scaredy Monster Rides a Bike." I'm going to miss these remote days. I have gotten used to my students' families joining in the learning fun. The sister of my student today said in the background "I volunteer to read!" I couldn't help but smile.

Afternoon recess duty found me basking in the warm sun and breeze, trying very hard not to think about my impending informal observation tomorrow (cringe) and simply enjoying the moment, listening and watching the kiddos revel in the newly opened playground. I believe they were playing some sort of "the ground is lava" game. Ah, I love our third-graders. In fact, I've learned this year that I love third-grade. Period. I student taught a third-grade class, and here I am a third-grade teacher. I will miss this year in so many ways. It isn't over yet, but it has brought so many challenges. So many ups and downs and all arounds, but I digress, back to my mellow Monday. 

My workday ended with meetings galore. The first, a 1-1 session with an LBS in my district who has become such a mentor to me. She checks in on my needs each week and I am so appreciative that she listens to all of my questions and guides me on my way. The second, a 30-minute virtual meeting with a parent who if I hadn't told her I had an all-staff meeting, might just have kept on chatting with me all into the night. I felt bad not being able to give her more of my time, but after school, we had a staff meeting where I then learned all about "Circle Maps." I'm excited to start the one I created for my kiddos tomorrow - all about my 20-21 school year. I am going to have each student add their feelings of this year on our circle map when they are in class each day for the rest of the year. 

Now it is currently 6pm and I have yet to eat any dinner. After work has been consumed with prepping for my observation tomorrow and grad school conundrums. I have to schedule appointments with my advisor, order my first textbook, figure out which picture I want for my new ID, plan when to watch the new orientation videos, sign up for an orientation seminar, and find time to actually eat/shower tonight. Mellow Monday where did you go? I feel like today was a day well spent, learning, growing, and enjoying my new life as an educator. I do enjoy squeezing as much out of it as I can. Like a tube of toothpaste, but only, this is my life - a New Teacher's Testimony. Thanks for being here. 

Until next time I leave you with a quote that reminds me how Monday provides another opportunity for a fresh week to be all that I can be.


*GB

Comments

Club sponsor said…
Mondays... From 50 tabs to an inspirational quote. All the best in your observation tomorrow.
Vicki said…
Very positive post! Best of luck to you tomorrow!
Lainie Levin said…
Oh, I'm with you. I love third grade. There's something magical about the way that kids at this grade start to put together so very much: about their learning, about themselves, about this world and their place in it. Good luck with your observation tomorrow!
Adrienne G. said…
You post cause me joy and anxiety. The joy came from your description of third grade and your third grade class. Fourth grade has a special place in my heart. And my last fourth grade class, before I moved to middle school, is one of my all time favorite classes.

The anxiety came from your tabs!!! I get stressed when I have four open! I hope that gave you a good chuckle.

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC