Day 9 - "It's Observation Time!" - SOLSC

 

#SOL21

I think I jinxed myself. Yesterday I commented on a fellow slicer's post about her dog keeping her up all night. I mentioned how Poncherillo does that every once in a while since he is old and occasionally has a potty emergency. Well, wouldn't you know it that last night at midnight Poncherillo just happened to have a potty emergency. The night before my first observation in over a year there I am getting up and out of bed to take Poncherillo outside, again, and again, and again. I thought this may go on all night, but at 1 am I found myself trying to finally get back to sleep.

Fast forward a few hours and I push-in to math class, it's (B) day so my students are in school today. I am not only severely tired, but my head is pounding. Only an hour and a half until the big show. I'm not watching the clock at all, I'm not sweating at all, my stomach is not doing any sort of morning acrobatics. I did manage to eat breakfast, so why is my stomach doing back-flips? 

I haven't had an observation in over a year and let me tell you, I was Scared today. So, so, so, scared. Yet, I survived. My stomach is STILL doing backflips. I am also still so sweaty. Wow, I thought I might have a panic attack there for a moment. I was able to start my lesson before the observation began so I had time to make sure my students had a nice bathroom break and a movement break. I then reminded them of what we have been doing in reading class and walked them through the schedule for the lesson. (Yep, I created a full schedule for this lesson so they knew each step I was going to walk them through.) When the door opened and our principal walked in I immediately began to sweat. I had no idea the observation would go for almost an hour, but when it ended I was just trying to keep my thoughts flowing and my students engaged. I also was trying to not let all the sweat start collecting in a pool on the floor at my feet.

I couldn't be more proud of my students today. They worked so hard. Sweating or not they couldn't tell Ms. B was worried or nervous at all. They followed all of my directions and guidance and were true rockstars. I have a follow-up tomorrow to hear all of my principal's thoughts on the lesson. I'm just hoping my stomach doesn't start doing back-flips again. 

I'm signing off early to go celebrate that I survived this day. On little sleep, with a pounding headache, sweaty body, and a tummy that is still galloping itself into different directions. I only hope Poncherillo lets momma sleep tonight, she deserves it.

Until next time, I leave you with a quote about being a teacher that soothes my soul. As I begin my Master's program in April, I have adopted this quote to guide me on the journey. 


*GB

Comments

Adrienne G. said…
I was sweating right there with you. I have been teaching for over 30 years and STILL get nervous when the admins come to observe.

Congrats on a great lesson. I bet Poncherillo will sleep through the night just fine tonight.
Lainie Levin said…
So glad and grateful that things went well! You know, kids have an amazing way of stepping up and being wonderful just when we really want and need them to be. Now...here's hoping that you get a chance to rest and relax this evening!
I'm so glad your observation went well! They still make me nervous too. I wish I could stop being nervous about them, but I think it just goes with the territory. I had one this week too and was so relieved when it was finished!

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC