Day 14 - "Happy Pi Day!" - SOLSC



#SOL21

Happy Pi Day! Happy Daylight Savings Day! Truly only one of these makes me happy, Pi Day! Daylight savings finds me a bit disoriented, what day is it? What time is it really? Is the day already half over? Well, I better hurry and get some Pi then. You see, I love pie, and cake, and any type of bakery, of which I am reminded every 3.14. 

This time of year I begin to crave everything mint, in honor of those shamrock shakes. I happened across a grasshopper pie at one of my favorite bakeries, but drum roll.... I kept good on my diet and did not happen to grab a slice of that, believe me it looked truly scrumptious and I wanted to. 

Instead, I found myself today again under a pile of papers, lesson planning day it is! I think of what pi day truly stands for and am reminded that as a new educator I am not the greatest at teaching math. So today I want to ask my fellow slicers, how does one truly know if they will ever be a good math teacher? I love the new curriculum that I am using to support my students (along with our general education curriculum), but I can't help but have an assistant striking at my subconscious over and over again with the comments from a few weeks ago in that, "well you don't really read the entire lesson before you teach it."

Let me stop and tell you that I do read and plan for each lesson, but I can't help but feeling that maybe that comment comes from someone thinking that I am teaching math inadequately? Maybe I should go have that pie after all, and forget that words really sting, even when I'm just a new teacher in this ring.

Until next time, I leave you with a quote from a true genius.

*GB

Comments

onathought.com said…
Words really do sting. I know it's true - and they stay with you.But I think we are all constantly growing -- and so that's how we know we are "good..." We think about what we love about our jobs, and what we are proud of and know that we will keep growing every year... and really every day!
Vanessa Vaile said…
Almost forgot about Pi Day. Now I'm wanting a pice of pie and it's too cold and rainy to walk over to Main for a slice. Using a slice of pie image on today's #sol21 post is not an adequate substitue.

There's no forgetting about the time change even if you try.
Adrienne G. said…
One year when I was teaching 4th grade a smart kid with a terrible home life once asked why i taught math first thing in the morning. I asked if he was just complaining or if he wanted the truth. He thought for a moment, then said he wanted the truth.

I truthfully told him that I was less confident at teaching math than other subjects. Because I was a morning person, I wanted to teach Math when I felt at the top of my game. I think he was surprised by my honest...but it's always the best policy.





Lainie Levin said…
Loved this post, and your honesty about teaching math. I guess what I'd wish for everyone to understand is that we're ALL a lot more mathematical than we give ourselves credit for. I could go on about that, but just know that at the heart of things, you probably know a LOT more about the foundations of math (portions and parts for fractions, place value as 10) than you think you do! As for minty wonderfulness, my personal favorite is the thin oreos with the mint middles. =))
Anonymous said…
I truly enjoyed the way this slice rolled from Daylight Savings to Pi Day to your love of pie and cravings for all things mint right now. The meandering from topics that are related but not was effortless. I liked how you came full circle at the end, and how while pondering about that comment that just keeps digging at you, you wonder if pie might just be the answer after all.

Popular posts from this blog

Random Thoughts - "A New Teacher's Testimony" - 23 Days Until School's Out!

Day 23 - "I See You" - SOLSC

Day 22 - "Only 4 Days Until Spring Break!" - SOLSC